Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Parenthood Is Great!!!

Originally Posted September 21, 2005

I know....I am so sweet

With each new day, things are getting better. Today, Emma Grace didn't wake up until the alarm went off. As usual, we had a busy day that started early. We left at 8:30 for Ji'an City, Emma Grace's birthplace. We visited the orphanage. It was a 2 1/2 hour bus ride with 5 new families. Oh, and have I mentioned the driving in China?? Talk about praying through....if you are not saved when you come here, you are saved when you leave. They just drive however they want. Our driver about took his life in our hands when he crossed into close oncoming traffic over the double yellow lines. Our guide, Ki Ki finally told him to drive a little calmer. Anyway, back to the important stuff. As we were driving to Ji'an City, I couldn't help but think about her birth mother. The poverty in Jiangxi province is so great. It is such a rural area with 90% of the population being farmers. They make the equivalent to $500 US dollars a month. Such a overwhelming sea of emotion came over me as we pulled through the gate of her orphanage.


In Front of Orphanage
The nannies there are all so sweet to the babies. We have no doubt they were well taken care of. We got to see the room where they mix up all the baby bottles and prepare their rice congee. Also, the room where they were bathed. Then they took us to 2 of the baby rooms. It made me so sad to see all those other babies still waiting for forever families. They would just look at you with these sad eyes. I wish we could have taken them all home with us.


Emma Grace's Empty Crib
They showed us the crib where Emma Grace slept. I am so thankful that crib is empty now. I wish they all were. We were concerned about taking Emma Grace to the orphanage with the problems she has been having. We didn't want to make her separation and grieving process worse. But after talking to our CHI coordinator, she said she thought it would be good for her. One last goodbye and then she leaves with us....kind of closure for her. She did really well. The nannies talked to her and passed her around and she always wanted to know where we were. She never made a whimper.Some of the nannies were crying when we left. They were all so sweet.


Sweet Nannies
The orphanage director then took us to lunch at a local Chinese restaurant. That is one more experience......we had many different dishes. One mixed pot that had all parts of the chicken....and I mean all....chicken feet, chicken head.....etc...We also had a whole fish served to us on a platter. Needless to say, Jason and I ate a lot of rice and noodles. Emma Grace had the regular....steamed egg and a bottle. The director was so sweet...she was going around feeding all kinds of things to the babies....I think they are afraid we are starving them. Could she not tell by looking at us that she will not miss a meal??

Lunch...mmm...mmm....good
After a long bus ride, we made it back to the hotel at 5:30 and had Pizza Hut delivered. I am still holding out for McDonalds. I am hoping for that tomorrow for lunch. We then spread out all her toys and we laid on the bed and played for a few hours. She is really coming out of her shell now. She is becoming more animated. She reminds me so much of my niece, Danielle. She is very quiet and curious. Some of her mannerisms remind me of how Danielle was when she was a baby. Jason said she is a drama queen.....he said he knows where she gets that from. Emma Grace and I are staying in tomorrow while Jason tours. They are going to the Nanchang countryside and visiting some farms to see how the families here live. We are really having a great time, but now that we got what we came for, we are ready to come home. One more week.....See you all soon!!

Love you!
Jason, Denise and Emma Grace

No comments: